Report of student with gun prompts Ridgeview HS lockdown; no weapons found, no arrests

(Update: school district, police statement; report of a gun triggered the lockdown but none were found)

REDMOND, Ore. (KTVZ) – Ridgeview High School in southwest Redmond was taken into custody for nearly 100 minutes Thursday afternoon as police investigated a report by a campus student with a gun, but they later said no guns were found and no arrests were made. do.

Here is the full text of a press release issued by the school district and police late Thursday afternoon.

Redmond School District and Police Department Joint Press Release Regarding Ridgeview High School Lockdown

Redmond, Oregon – At approximately 12:43 p.m. today, December 9, 2021, Ridgeview High School was closed after staff received a report of a student on campus with a gun. Redmond police were notified and responded immediately. The students were confined for approximately 98 minutes.

At this time, there are no known threats to students or staff at Ridgeview High School. No arrests were made. There are no injuries and all students and staff are safe.

The students were released from their classrooms at around 2:10 p.m., and all students were out of the building at around 2:30 p.m.

Students and staff were swift and cooperative in responding to the lockdown order, allowing staff and law enforcement to keep the campus and students safe. Redmond Police, aided by school staff, conducted a thorough investigation, including speaking to students who may have been aware of the weapon reported on campus. No evidence of guns on campus was found.

A lockdown occurs when a threat occurs inside the school building. When this happens, our school and classroom doors are locked, lights are turned off, and students are asked to remain silent while the threat is dealt with by law enforcement. We train regularly with students and staff using the I Love U Guys Foundation Standard Response Protocol.

Lockdowns are traumatic for students and staff, and we recognize that these incidents have both short and long term impacts. The Redmond School District will have additional staff at Ridgeview High School tomorrow to speak with students.

Previous information:

Redmond School District spokeswoman Sheila Miller said around 1 p.m. that the lockdown – a safety measure that means all exterior and interior doors are locked and students and staff take shelter in place – had only been in place for a few minutes, but did not have Additional Information. (A relative in the building told NewsChannel 21 it started around 12:30 p.m.)

At approximately 1:35 p.m., the school district released this statement:

“Ridgeview High School is currently closed. Redmond Police are at the scene. We secured the building and called all the RVHS families to let them know. We ask families not to come to the school site to pick up their students. We will post more information as soon as possible. “

Redmond Police posted on their Facebook page within minutes that officers were at the scene “investigating reports of suspicious activity. As a precaution, students and staff have been taken into custody.”

At around 2:15 p.m., NewsChannel 21’s Jordan Williams tweeted that he “saw a few groups of students coming out on the east side” of the school.

Before 2:30 p.m. came this update from the school district:

“The lockdown at Ridgeview has been lifted. We have sent a phone call to all the families in Ridgeview to let them know. Students will be released via our lockout protocol and the buses will operate normally. The students were released at 2:20 p.m. We will share more information when we have it. “

Ridgeview High School on SW Elkhorn Avenue opened in 2012 and has over 1,000 students.

NewsChannel 21 has a reporter and photographer at the scene and is awaiting further details from the police. We will update as soon as there is more information to share.

Comments are closed.